About the Society
While EngSoc's membership is primarily English majors, it is not exclusive. We are open to literary-minded students of all majors and disciplines. There are no dues and invite we everyone to come to our open events!
The UI English Society's mission is:
- To provide a space for literary minded people to share their love of literature and creative writing
- To strengthen connections between literary groups on campus and the literary community of IC
- To foster relationships between students and faculty
- To create a greater sense of connectedness between English majors
We host a variety of events throughout the academic year, including:
- Social events: games, crafts, trivia, holiday parties, etc.
- Educational events: study sessions, Inspiration Series faculty talks, etc.
- Literary events: open mics, readings, workshops, etc.
- Charity fundraising
- And much more!
"Hello everybody! My name is Evalyn Harper (she/her) and I study English and creative writing on a publishing track at the University of Iowa. I'm an avid reader/writer of fiction and I'm particularly interested in creating inclusive storytelling for children and teens. Outside of my literary pursuits, I've been known to enjoy video editing, attempting to play the ukulele, and any and all things Disney. If you have questions about any of that please reach out to me and I'd be happy to answer. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing you all at English Society events"
Alice Webster (she/her) is an English and Creative Writing and Theatre double major. In addition to serving as the publicist for the English Society, she is a drama editor on earthwords: the undergraduate literary review, a programming intern for the Iowa Youth Writing Project, and a participant in theatrical productions on campus. She's excited to connect with the literary community on campus!
Amritha Selvarajaguru is a sophomore from California studying English & Creative Writing and Secondary English Education. In addition to serving as the education chair for the English Society, she is also a nonfiction editor on earthwords: the undergraduate literary review, an illustrator for Snapshots Magazine, and a writing editor on Cave Magazine. She loves strawberries, hates cockroaches, and reads way too much poetry that makes her cry.